Thursday, June 12, 2008

Take a 6 Year old shopping!


First things first Go Celtics!!!
Eight years ago you would have either found me at a sports bar with my softball team mates having a beer and watching the NBA finals or at the softball fields playing my 4th game in 4 nights and then to the sports bar to watch the finals.
Well tonight I took my 6 year old son to Wal-Mart(sorry Mom)to make a purchase with his own money earned from losing his teeth.
He had roughly 9 dollars.My son is very sharp as 6 year olds go, he left the tooth fairy notes along with the tooth and asked her to wake him up so he could meet her (that was the first tooth.)The tooth fairy kindly left Skyler a note stating that, she tried to wake him up but he must be growing because he didn't wake up. The 2nd tooth was accompanied by a note asking the tooth fairy if in fact was a girl or a boy, he also requested a squirt gun instead of money.The tooth fairy replied once again to Skyler's note telling him she was a girl but has boy helpers.She also informed him that carrying money was easier than toys and promptly gave him $6.00 so he could buy his own squirt gun.
I know that is a lot of information and is a little off the path but I thought you might enjoy how Skyler got his money.
Tonight with my favorite team in the NBA playing in the finals I set off for Wal-Mart (again sorry Mom).(For those of you that don't know me this is a big change for me.)
I had some business to take care of first and then I took Skyler to the toy section.He said "Do you know were the toy section is??"I replied "yes"
He asked "how do you know were the toy section is",I just reminded him that I was a "Genius" and we headed towards the toy section.
We spent the better part of an hour walking up and down the action figure aisle trying to find the right toy.I answered questions like "how much is this" and "do I have enough for this".I stood my ground and made suggestions on things he could afford.I wanted him to experience handing "His money" to the cashier.The thought crossed my mind to supplement his endeavor by that would have meant using my ATM card for the purchase.I went as far as suggesting if he wanted to save more money for more expensive toys we could come back some other time.That was not an option.
After about an hour and a half he finally made his choice,he decided on a "Power Ranger Jungle Fury Zord"(price was around $7.75 not sure of exactly).
When we got to the cashier I wasn't sure if he had enough money,the cashier rang it up and the total was $8.53. He opened his change purse and pulled out his money he had a $5 bill and 2 ones and some quarters and dimes and pennies.I helped him count out the $1.53 from the change and he asked the cashier if he was getting any change back? I informed him he had exactly what he needed.
As we walked back to the truck the feeling of father hood hit me,it was an awesome feeling.(like seeing him catch that pop fly last week in his t-ball game.)
Take a 6 year old shopping and just sit back and enjoy the excitment!!

5 comments:

Myrnagj said...

What an adventure for a dad. I'm glad he had enough money. Next time take a little back-up cash. (Advice from Mom) I could tell you sort of missed watching your team play and were having a good time. Of course you forgot to include being interrupted by a phone call from California.

cdroses said...

I remember a horrible hangover from trying to keep up with you and your softball buddies, once. (Blah!) Hate both teams in the finals, so don't really care this year. Baseball is the name of the game in our house this week. The Royals (my team) played the Yankees (Kendra's team) earlier. No blood over either game we watched! lol

Happy Father's Day, Dave! :)

Shirley said...

Great report. That's the best thing you can do is -- take the time to be laid back about these adventures and just let them happen.

Janell said...

You're a good dad, Daveywonder. kee it up. Sure enjoyed venturing into the toy dept. at Walmart with you.

Janell said...

PS - love the picture!


Goofing off at CWS

A day at the Farm

A day at the Farm
Giddy-up!!

Gettig wet at the CWS